Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"Just a buncha profanity."

Yesterday, on the incline (my public transporation and a Pittsburgh tourist draw), I was trapped in a car with four other people. Two of them were your standard frat boys. Maybe they fancied themselves skater boys, I can't tell anymore. The line is blurred.

But I digress.

I had my headphones on, but my iPod was paused. I often use this technique to eavesdrop on conversations, but this time I was the subject of the conversation.

"Her pin says she killed Amanda Palmer," Boy 1 observes, looking at my bag. He's referencing my 'I Killed Amanda Palmer' pin from her first solo album.

"Yeah, that girl from Twin Peaks?" Boy 2 asks. This is a fairly good guess, as things go. I'm kind of impressed.

"Nah, I think it's something else. Look it up on your iPhone."

Boy 2 complies. Type, type, type.

"So?" Boy 1 demands.

"I dunno," Boy 2 says, puzzled. "It's just a buncha profanity."

Priceless. The icing on the cake? Boy 1 shakes his head sadly and comments, "I don't get it. Why don't we know stuff like that?"

I don't know, Boy 1. Why don't you?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my -- that's good.

    Stupidity abounds, even with teh innerwebs at your fingertips 24 hours a day.

    Nice use of the link to the incline! It's the only form of public transportation that doesn't scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amusing. I have often used the paused headphones or volume turned way down headphones to catch some interesting conversations myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha. You guys are creepers.

    ReplyDelete